I'm hoping that, if I just do little posts instead of trying to cover an entire month's worth of stuff in one sitting, I'll be better at this. Now that school is in session, I have more time to complete projects - and - blog about them (I hope).
Hazel made me her sewing slave this morning and we completed this Halloween outfit and...
...the stuffed owl she has been begging me to make all week. She's suddenly very much into owls. I consented to the sewing fest because she woke up with a fever and had a sore throat and stuffy nose, so she needed some extra love. You'll notice all her pictures have her mouth open...such is the life of a girl with a cold. The Motrin made her feel as good as new though, except the nose part.
This owl is quite basic and, although Hazel loves it, I'm not a huge fan. I just didn't have the patience to create a totally awesome version since I had already made the skirt and the iron-on applique for the shirt. I'm learning, slowly but surely, to simplify. :-)
Hazel really does NOT need another Halloween skirt, but when this fabric (Riley Blake) came out last year (or was is 2 years ago?) I just had to buy it because it was so stinkin' cute. And what good is fabric if it's just sitting folded up on the shelf?
She won't stay little forever, and pretty soon she'll follow the lead of her big sister and not want to wear handmade things anymore...so carpe diem, right?
Okay, I just have to say that this girl's physical strength is pretty amazing. She was hanging one-armed like this for a long time, begging me to take more and more pictures of her. I couldn't hang from one arm now for a half of a second, and I doubt I could have done it for very long as a kid either! Maybe she was showing off for the owl.
Aww, what a cutie. I think I'll keep her.
In other news, I spent the first part of this week doing an upholstered slipcover for this bench for my friend Nell, who is also teaching Hyrum and I piano lessons. She wanted to do some redecorating, so I've been helping her by making pillows and stuff like this in exchange for lessons. I heart bartering. Anyway, it started out as a sturdy old coffee table that had one corner chewed off from a dog, but it was the ideal size for a bench that could also double as an ottoman. I wish now I had just encased the table with thin plywood and wrapped the fabric around and stapled it in place like more of a traditional ottoman, but we went with the skirted, slipcovered version instead. I now remember why my own upholstered projects are still unfinished...I really. do. not. like. doing. upholstery. with. welting. But this one's done now, and I can check it off my list of things to do.
Another project this week was to clean out the master bedroom (it had become the dumping ground for all sorts of miscellany, plus loads and loads of clean laundry that I can't seem to ever stay ahead of...I do NOT heart laundry, especially the folding and putting away part). This grey table was one of two that I ordered (from Target when they were on sale) to serve as endtables for the bed. I didn't like the dull grey knobs, so I changed them to shiny ones...
...and it made a big difference! I'm almost done decorating the MB, I should have pics up next week. No, really, I will. I (almost) promise.