...Which explains why I haven't had anything to blog about this week. All my stuff is crammed into other parts of the basement (just for a week, or so I thought) and nary a sewing project in sight.
It all started out innocently enough. Rip out inefficient plywood "cabinetry" along back wall, install a bunch of recessed lighting to combat the dark, non-window environment, rip out narrow closet housing the water meter (whoever thought it was a good idea to have a water meter on the INSIDE of the house needs a good dose of common sense. Yes, the meter man has to come into our house to read the meter. No, there's nothing we can do to change it).
This is the "before" picture of the closet = so narrow in depth that I could hardly store a shoebox in there. Not to mention the ugly factor.
Well, he fixed that. We now have a giant section of sheetrock missing from the ceiling. Steve wants to demolish the entire ceiling and start over, I say no way. I've done ceiling sheetrock before, it's not fun. I'd much rather patch than start from scratch on that one.
We also discovered that the basement walls were not even remotely done to current codes and the way they are now creates a giant fire hazard. They didn't frame it in with studs, just furring strips and sheetrock...which means all the outlets are without plastic housings because there wasn't room for a box. They're nestled nice and tight right up against the wood. Sweet. Which means we are going to have to rip out the entire basement all along the perimeter, rebuild with studs, insulation, new electric outlets, new sheetrock, etc. As if we had time (or energy...or money, for that matter) for that! Argh.
Then there's the floor. There are all sorts of gaps where the walls and cabinetry were removed, and we need more flooring. Except that it's old laminate and they don't make it anymore. I finally found a place who could get me some to match, but it's really expensive and it's almost as much to buy a few cartons as it would be to just replace the whole darn thing with a newer product (I can't stand laminate flooring anyway). Double - no, triple - argh. So much for a quick, relatively inexpensive studio remodel!
Remind me not to buy a fixer-upper house with 3 young kids and 10,000 other projects to work on again, okay? Thanks. The last time we bought a fixer upper was when we were first married = no kids yet, no fledgling design career yet. And a much smaller house. We had the whole thing redone in about 6 months. My, how times have changed! Not that we had much of a choice - homes in this area are priced ridiculously high...on par with Hawaii, as a matter of fact. We learned the hard way about crazy expensive mortgages when we lived in Hawaii, and vowed not to do that again. Hence the fixer upper, AKA money pit. At least in Hawaii we weren't ripping out half our house and starting over! Even with doing as much of the labor as we can by ourselves, it's still very costly - both financially and emotionally (sigh).
Okay, enough whining. I just had to vent. At least we HAVE a house to fix up, and at least Steve HAS a job even if it's in an expensive place to live. And, if all goes well, at least I'll start bringing in some extra income once my fabric line comes out, so that's something to look forward to.
In the meantime, please excuse the dust and the lack of craftiness for awhile. When the work is all done, the painful process will be a fading memory. And I won't even mention the possibility of moving in 2012 (Steve's job at HQ is over next year) right now, because it just might push me over the edge. One thing at a time...one thing at a time...
**Post Note** to see the final result of my studio, please click HERE.